Pages

Thursday 7 August 2014

Questions Can Blitz Your Comfort Zone



Blitz Of The Question!
The Comfort Zone
 Questions can be scary because of their destabilising potential  and so the ornery guy is pretty okay without their barbs.They upset your "groove";that favourite,warm ,fuzzy,bed of unchanging slumber.Welcome!This is the famous comfort zone that we all love to languish in.

The Advantage Of The Comfort Zone.

This warm fuzzy room of comfort is the inviting chamber.Its here that we like to rest and catch up with the world.The one that is familiar,and therefore less threatening.Inside the comfort zone you don’t have to worry.Everything here is recognisable .Everything here is safe and secure.

Incidentally job security also resides here,including all the reasons for sticking to a job; and also all the reasons against quitting.This is a great “storm shelter” for the average Joe.Interestingly, statistics tell us that over 80% of people don’t enjoy their work and nearly 75% don’t know their passion.So the comfort zone is  a great resting place for such souls.And by the way,we’re not into prejudice about this stat ,either way.Just stating facts.

The Downside

Of course this zone is  more often a valley of decay.Here we are likely to wind up in a vegetative state of inertia.No risk no gain is the magic charm that works here.And inertia is the payoff.It's hypnotic,it's addictive,and extremely reassuring.
The downside is a slew of scared statements,camouflaged as pragmatic wisdom.These are concoctions that brew in the imitative atmosphere of the comfort zone. Yet they inevitably immobilize your movement or progress. Here are some examples of the workplace,yet the same logic extends to other areas as well:-
1. I’m no expert in my field yet at least.I maybe someday, then I can think of other options…..
2. I’ve been so long into my current job,I guess that’s all what life’s about
3. I think it will take too long for my interest to start showing income results.
4. My friends will laugh at my ideas.  
5. I'm not sure what I’m passionate about.
6. I have a  passion but  that may not make me any money.
7. I’m more interested in a job related to my passions.Yet I’m unable to find any.
8. Why go through the hassle.Besides I’m too old/young/inexperienced/in-confident etc.
 9. I cannot take failure.I have no fallback plan in case I fail.
10. If I change horses midstream my family, mortgage,bills,social status,loans suffer.
11. I know no one in the field I’m interested in.
12. Everybody I know works for paying bills,not for fun.
13. Money and passion cannot be combined.Only the lucky few get a break.

Assault Of The Query

Who? - What? - When? - Where? - Why? - How?

These are the hooks  thrown at the mind.No wonder  question marks are actually shaped like a hook!They get inside the mind and bait the fish swimming inside the mind.These are huge salmon,trout,mackerel,and many more.They are pure gold,because these fish are the ideas that solve your problems.They bring you better relationships,more money,knowledge,fun,creativity,fulfillment ,and happiness.
Yet we have to confess that for the solutions & ideas inside your mind these questions are a frontal assault.Nothing less. Under the onslaught of these hooks flying in like lightening bolts, the solutions have nowhere else to go but come out.That is the mammoth power of a question.

 Curiosity:The Penchant for Growth.

When we think we invariably do so in question answer format.Particularly when we are considering something that we haven’t thought of,or known, before; something fresh.And this is the region,of development,of innovation,of new possibilities, and of growth.
George Loewenstein in the early 90s,while studying the theory of curiosity discovered an amazing fact . According to Loewenstein, curiosity emerges  when we feel a gap “between what we know and what we want to know”. Loewenstein's model of curiosity highlights  the area of  “manageable gaps” in one's knowledge. According to him the urge for discovery increases as a person recognizes  that a gap exists between his current knowledge state and a desired knowledge state.
It is this “gap” that we bridge when we throw the hook of questions at our mind.Answers inevitably surface when we “give” a question.Our mind will provide answers to whatever we dwell on, so we need to be careful of what we choose to place our focus on.


Once the question is “given” our job is to tune in,and “receive” what will come out.



Over to you my friends.......

No comments: